Q Tip

Posted by the shady show 
Q Tip
January 22, 2009 01:39AM

Current mood:
Re: Q Tip
January 22, 2009 02:58AM

Current mood:
He'll be chatting on qtip.com in 15 minutes if anyone is interested. He does it every few days.

January 22, 2009 09:40AM

Current mood:
beautiful
January 22, 2009 10:44AM

January 22, 2009 04:14PM

seriously have heard some absolute rave reviews aboout his new live show with a band and all, have been dying to see him since he was supposed to come over in 2005 but shit got cancelled
January 22, 2009 07:07PM

Seen him at rock the bells in Toronto over the summer. He played 4/5 tracks b4 the tribe gig......legend live! yes wit band an all
January 22, 2009 07:13PM

im djing in portrush this night
Roadtrip?
January 22, 2009 10:40PM

Current mood:
great news!!!
January 22, 2009 10:49PM

Tew Pack Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> im djing in portrush this night
> Roadtrip?

Bandcamp - Facebook - Youtube - Twitter - Myspace - ilike

Facebook
January 23, 2009 03:30AM

Fuck a duck Im going to this shit

[www.facebook.com]

Follow Me on Twitter
January 23, 2009 10:11AM

Tew Pack Wrote:
> im djing in portrush this night
> Roadtrip?

you'd never make it back in time would ya? If yes i shall drive!

[www.youtube.com]
[www.soundcloud.com]
[www.myspace.com]
[www.facebook.com]
[www.reverbnation.com]
January 23, 2009 12:36PM

IHH ROADTRIP TO PORTRUSH
THEN IHH GUMBALL BACK TO Q-TIP
January 23, 2009 12:47PM

ChoiceCuts proudly presents...debut Irish performance!!!

Q-Tip (of A Tribe Called Quest) plus Live Band
Friday 13th March 2009
The Button Factory
Curved Street, Temple Bar, Dublin 2
Doors 7.30
Admission €30 ex booking fees
tickets.ie/choicecuts ticketmaster.ie choicecuts.ie qtiponline.com

Modern hip–hop and R&B music can both arguably be divided into pre and post A Tribe Called Quest, and the musical efforts of its lead MC and producer Kamaal Ibn John Fareed better known to the world as Q–Tip. Consider the jazzy sampling, laid–back tempos and boho–chic vibe he introduced, then mull over the bohemian posturing and sounds of the neo–soul movement, plus any rap music that shies away from hardcore posturing. All roads lead back to A Tribe Called Quest and the beats, rhymes and life of one man: Q–Tip. And now the time is ripe for The Renaissance, the Abstract MC’s first solo album in nine years.

Back when rap production was all about James Brown samples and dense, agitated sonic collages, Q–Tip was digging deeper into the record crates for snatches of stand–up bass and obscure jazz. The influence of that first sonic renaissance is still being heard. “I see the Tribe legacy as one of the strongest in modern music,” Q–Tip admits. “From us came so many artists, like Common, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, the Fugees and Kanye West. I feel very honored to have been able to contribute in such a way that, 20 years later, it still is a reference point.” Produced primarily by Q–Tip with plenty of live instrumentation and a love fixation, The Renaissance is a stark portrait of the artist as an elder statesman.

One listen to the frenetic drumming and strutting live bassline of a track like “ManWomanBoogie” reveals that Q–Tip is on a mission to create original music as timeless as the tracks he used to sample once upon a time. It’s also obvious that the title of his latest album is no accident. “The Renaissance is significant because for some time now people have questioned the integrity of hip–hop,” he reveals. “I feel like the time is ideal for something that has a revisionist spirit to it.”

Taking the same type of nonconformist risks as Stevie Wonder, John Lennon and the mavericks of other music genres, Q–Tip has always gone left when it comes to his position in hip–hop culture. People’s Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm, the 1990 debut of A Tribe Called Quest, introduced Q–Tip’s iconoclast stance. The 20–year–old emceed about vegetarianism, French expatriates and domestic violence at a time when (then as now) other more standard rappers’ topics were marching lockstep in comparison. Yet he always made absolutely sure to charm the Bonita Applebums and practice the art of moving butts. The Renaissance goes to show that the more things change, the more they stay the same.

On “Life Is Better,” singer Norah Jones helps Q–Tip give a unique spin on the hip–hop love song: a love of hip–hop itself, that is. “The state of hip–hop is in conception now,” he says, discussing the regeneration and renaissance of the culture. “Something else is happening to it and there’s a new approach, a rebirth that’s going on. One of the many cool things about the digital world is that it has grown the appetite for good music. Now people can find an obscure Beatles song or an EPMD remix online, so everyone is becoming more hip.” Q–Tip’s love of hip–hop only rivals his love for the opposite sex, an adoration that’s clear and evident on tracks like “Believe” featuring D’Angelo, or The Renaissance’s first single, “Gettin’ Up”: “I like to watch everybody gravitate towards you/Your magnetic presences make them come through/The same way you got them, you got me too.”

Love talk is all around The Renaissance, but Q–Tip remains as characteristically diverse as ever. “Fight/Love” with Raphael Saadiq, for example, alludes to the ever–present realities of the Iraq War. The sole track handled by a producer other than Q–Tip himself is “Move,” a hyper–kinetic pastiche of diced–up Jackson 5’s “Dancing Machine” courtesy of the late, great J. Dilla. “A Tribe Called Quest is no more,” says Q–Tip, putting a cap on rumors sparked by their recent reunion shows on the recent Rock the Bells Tour. Yet hardcore fans will still recall J. Dilla’s participation in The Ummah, the production team (also including Q–Tip and DJ Ali Shaheed Muhammad) that handled full chores on the final two ATCQ albums. “Move” comes closest to reviving the head–nodding kick of A Tribe Called Quest, a fitting testament to the funky skills of James “J. Dilla” Yancey.

Q–Tip is in his own extremely capable hands for the remainder of The Renaissance. Long known as a grand talent behind recording–studio mixing boards, Q–Tip has blessed a number of diverse artists with beats throughout his 20–year career: Nas, Mariah Carey, Mobb Deep, Whitney Houston. Since his start on the Jungle Brothers’ 1988 “Black Is Black,” music fans have waited on solo Q–Tip in one form or another. His 1999 Amplified debut album–produced largely by J. Dilla and featuring the career–defining hip–pop hits “Vivrant Thing” and “Breathe and Stop”–still left many wondering how Q–Tip would sound without commercial constraints. His nine–year time delay (Kamaal the Abstract was recorded but went unreleased in the interim) may bring to mind other missing–in–action masters of the hip–hop craft, but Q–Tip insists it’s all good. “There hasn’t been a delay,” he says, “and I think I can speak for myself, Lauryn Hill, Erykah Badu and D’Angelo when I say that we make music when the spirit is with us. We are a lot who are very observant as well as introspective. We paint intense, colorful pictures, so it takes time.”

Some of that time has been spent chasing the acting jones Q–Tip established locking lips with Janet Jackson in director John Singleton’s 1993 Poetic Justice. In films like Disappearing Acts (2000), Prison Song (2001) and Spike Lee’s She Hate Me (2004), Q–Tip expresses another side of his renaissance–man persona, holding his own against actors like Sanaa Lathan and Anthony Mackie.

“When I recorded my first album, I was 19,” Q–Tip says. “So I was very much in the moment and did not think about my career past the following year. I knew I loved what I did and had big fun, but I never imagined this.” The Renaissance marks the return of one of the most recognizable voices and individualist figures in all of hip–hop. At this moment for change in the hip–hop nation and the nation at large, The Renaissance could not have come at a more appropriate moment. Leave it to Q–Tip to be right on time.

Stay tuned for competitions.
January 25, 2009 06:01PM

got my tickets for this ish, and i'm counting the days. shud be a wicked gig.
January 26, 2009 11:16AM

January 26, 2009 12:22PM

Jay Ru Wrote:
> got my tickets for this ish, and i'm counting the
> days. shud be a wicked gig.

yeah cant wait, shame il be missing Q-Tip though Sad

Laughing

Dr. Nuggles,
doors for mne open at 9.30 with the 1st hour being happy hour (all drinks 1.95)
January 27, 2009 10:33AM

Current mood:
he is playing london the night after
January 27, 2009 11:09AM

Do ya need a lift up? Cos id be well up for a road trip!

[www.youtube.com]
[www.soundcloud.com]
[www.myspace.com]
[www.facebook.com]
[www.reverbnation.com]
January 27, 2009 11:31AM

you coming nug boat?

il holla at you, one of my mates was gonna go too,

also the promoter up there is sorting out a 5 aside astro turf too Laughing

get back to match fitness ya pupeen!
January 28, 2009 04:14PM

Can't wait for this! First hh gig in feckin ages

January 28, 2009 04:50PM

my portrush gig?
January 28, 2009 05:07PM

hell yeah son, never even heard of a q tip? the PR ftw

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2009 05:07PM by Yelevance.
January 28, 2009 06:03PM

Current mood:
Not going to this, can't afford it. Sad

January 28, 2009 06:26PM

Current mood:
Yelevance Wrote:
> hell yeah son, never even heard of a q tip? the PR
> ftw

its one of these i reckon

January 28, 2009 07:46PM

Tew Pack Wrote:
> you coming nug boat?
>
> il holla at you, one of my mates was gonna go
> too,
>
> also the promoter up there is sorting out a 5
> aside astro turf too Laughing
>
> get back to match fitness ya pupeen!

Right im in flip! We coming back same night or staying up there for the night on a mad one?

[www.youtube.com]
[www.soundcloud.com]
[www.myspace.com]
[www.facebook.com]
[www.reverbnation.com]
January 28, 2009 11:25PM

Belfast isn't far from Portrush...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
January 28, 2009 11:30PM

January 29, 2009 06:49PM

Current mood:
Fuck Ashbourne.

January 29, 2009 07:27PM

True but i thought we were just saying places that werent far from each other.

[www.youtube.com]
[www.soundcloud.com]
[www.myspace.com]
[www.facebook.com]
[www.reverbnation.com]
January 29, 2009 07:57PM

any HASHBOURNE?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 9
Record Number of Users: 4 on February 28, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 103 on February 06, 2020
Donate towards my web hosting bill!