Donate towards my web hosting bill!
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

PETE ROCK & Ophelia gig on Sun week 1st March

Posted by Wide O 
PETE ROCK & Ophelia gig on Sun week 1st March
February 20, 2009 01:58PM

Legendary New York hip-hop producer, DJ, and MC famed for his unique vintage soul and jazz samples. Considered one of the greatest contributors to, and most influential names in East-Coast hip-hop.

First emerging in the early 1990s in partnership with rapper C.L. Smooth, Rock has since become a must-have producer for East-Coast hip-hop artists, as well as producing his own highly influential and critically acclaimed solo albums.

His collaborators include Nas, Jeru The Damaja, Talib Kweli, and Ghostface Killah to name just a few.

Rock’s latest solo album NY’s Finest, released through indie label Nature Sounds, features a roster of cult hip hop artists that includes Wu-Tang's Raekwon and Masta Killa, Dipset's Jim Jones, Papoose, D-Block and Redman amongst others.

POD Concerts presents
PETE ROCK

Support: Ophelia

Sunday March 1st

Crawdaddy – Harcourt St – Dublin 2. Doors: 9pm – 1am Tickets €22.50 (inc. booking fee) available from Ticketmaster, City Discs, Sound Cellar and usual outlets. www.ticketmaster.ie

Biog

Born in the Bronx, NY by Jamaican parents, a teenage Pete Rock first hit the scene in the late 80's when he joined legendary DJ/producer Marley Marl on NY station WBLS' show "In Control With Marley Marl." The popularity of the radio show soon led Pete Rock to experiment with production. In 1991, he was joined by up-and-coming rapper CL Smooth and released the debut EP, All Souled Out. In 1992, the duo dropped Mecca And The Soul Brother, one of the most critically acclaimed hip-hop albums of all time. Pete and CL eventually released The Main Ingredient in 1994. Although the album was very well received by critics and fans alike, the project marked the last effort for the duo.

Since then, Pete Rock has lent his production skills to some of the greatest MC's. He crafted and remixed hits for Nas, Biggie, Jeru The Damaja, and, more recently, Jim Jones, Talib Kweli’s Ear Drum, Redman’s Red’s Gone Wild and Ghostface, for whom he produced tracks for Fishscale, one of music critics’ favorite hip hop albums of 2006.

Pete Rock is considered by most to be one of the greatest hip-hop producers. Following the split with CL Smooth, Pete has released a number of solo projects. In 1998, Loud Records released Soul Survivor; that was followed in 2001 by a collection of instrumental tracks aptly titled PeteStrumentals. In 2004, he released Soul Survivor II on his own imprint Soul Brother Recordings.

Nature Sounds is quickly becoming the indie home for classic hip-hop. During the last couple of years the label has released critically acclaimed projects by artists that include MF DOOM, Wu-Tang’s Masta Killa (Made In Brooklyn), and most recently, Mobb Deep’s Havoc (The Kush).

www.myspace.com/peterock
Re: PETE ROCK & Ophelia gig on Sun week 1st March
February 22, 2009 02:26PM

Can't wait
February 22, 2009 08:24PM

Hopefully get in to this...
February 26, 2009 12:30AM

I would love to be at this.
February 26, 2009 02:22AM

What type of show is this gonna be? Dj set or what?
February 26, 2009 04:53PM

Pete rock has a couple of solo tracks..Presumably he'll have guest emcees?
February 26, 2009 10:16PM

Sincerely doube he'll have guest mc's...say twill just be dj set, possibly he'll spit a few (just speculating)
February 26, 2009 11:19PM

Whats ophelia like live?
just seen her spitting a few bars at skinnyman.
February 27, 2009 02:13AM

hope to make it to this...

Mexy, Ophelia is great live...RedSquare are tight to if they playin with her which im guessin there are, anyone know?

.....................................................................................................
Facebook.com/cucullenmusic
February 27, 2009 06:30PM

that's this Sunday. tickets will be available on the door
March 01, 2009 02:16AM

im back in ireland for 2days, reeeeeallly wanna check this out!... Rollcall!!!!!

Whats this link lead to hhmmm?
March 01, 2009 11:05AM

Yea Cullo, Red Square and DJ Moschops are appearing also.

March 02, 2009 10:30AM

Current mood:
so how was it?
March 02, 2009 10:54AM

carnie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> so how was it?

Was alright, not amazing. Standard issue dj set really. Pete looked like he was using Serato for the first time and couldnt quite get the hang of it. He sounded like a dickhead too afterwards when he was trying to sell cds
"Buy my mixtape.... Buy my mixtape... I aint signing no sweaty T Shirts, buy my cd and ill sign it"
March 02, 2009 11:57AM

Current mood:
figured it would've been ur run of the mill dj set, thats why i didn't bother going

was there many peoople there?
March 02, 2009 02:27PM

Not a big turn out, crowd was dead and Pete Rock is a fuckin bender.....(other than that the set was decent)
March 02, 2009 03:32PM

Hate these sort of depressing gigs, hopefully therel be a big turn out for Q-tip friday night and all!
March 02, 2009 05:08PM

Current mood:
i'd say q will get a good crowd alright.. think the pulling factor would be that its a full live gig
March 14, 2009 10:46PM

cant believe i missed this gig. pete rock is the man best hip hop producer of all time imo. bad reviews of the gig here tho. always tawt pr was down to earth in interviews and the like. any pics of the gig?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 8
Record Number of Users: 6 on September 17, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 252 on August 17, 2020
Donate towards my web hosting bill!