Donate towards my web hosting bill!
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Freestyle The Art of Rhyme - Exclusive Showing & Live Show

Posted by Choice Cuts 
Freestyle The Art of Rhyme - Exclusive Showing & Live Show
September 28, 2005 07:16PM

Great gig for anyone interested in real MCing!!! the forgotten art of freestyling

Freestyle: The Art of Rhyme
Venue : The Suagr Club
Date - Sunday 6th November 2005
Time : 7.30pm til late
Film Premiere and Live performances from
Craig G - Juice - Punchline - Wordsworth ( Freestyle Extravaganza)
Amdission 15 euro - 12 euro presales www.tickets.ie
Directed by Kevin Fitzgerald
[www.freestyletheartofrhyme.com] for trailer
www.choicecutsonline.com for more info.

Explosively documenting the story of a group of underground hip-hop MCs & DJs from the early 1980ís to the present day, Freestyle: The Art of Rhyme is a work in-progress film that explores the world of improvisational rap--the rarely recorded art form of rhyming spontaneously, or "off the top of the head." Made over the course of more than seven years, mostly with borrowed or stolen cameras by a co-operative of students, b-boys, DJs, and MCs know as The Center for Hip-Hop Education, Freestyle takes the viewer on a journey through the previously unexamined dimensions of hip-hop as a spiritual and community based art form.

Freestyle: The Art of Rhyme, experimental in its nature as improvisational cinema: no showing of the film is ever the same experience, combining the best of independent art house cinema within the hip-hop mix tape format. The project features appearances by: Supernatural, Mos Def, Black Thought & ?uestlove of the Roots, Freestyle Fellowship, Lord Finesse, Cut Chemist, Craig G, Juice, DJ Kool Herc, Boots of the Coup, Medusa, Planet Asia, Sway, Crazy Legs, Jurasic-5, Wordsworth, Bobitto Garcia, and The Last Poets. Freestyle offers us a context in which to view living art as a social critique in story and rhyme that is designed to bring about a cathartic transformation of frustration into beauty.

Freestyle follows some of the best MC's ever to bless the mic, featuring legendary battles including those of the film's hero; Supernatural pitted against his arch nemesis Craig G providing the through line for this tale. As these artists improvise poetry out of a mix of language, politics and culture that make up their lives, we discover revolutionary worlds where the English language is subverted and re-appropriated as a tool of economic and social empowerment.

Freestyle: The Art of Rhyme is a critically acclaimed film that is the first of its kind in many respects.Ý It is the first film to explore the social and cultural background that led to the current development of the street poet, or MC.Ý It provides an inside look into the framework of hip-hop culture, its rules, taboos and social impact.Ý It gives a voice to popular Black/urban culture, which is known to be a profound influence on youth culture globally. Freestyle is also the first independent film to counter false notions of hip-hopís erroneous negative and overly aggressive image, therefore providing a unique look at a growing influence in modern American and world culture.Ý Finally, Freestyle: The Art of Rhyme is the first-time documentary by Kevin Fitzgerald, a young and talented African-American filmmaker on the rise.

Freestyle holds great educational value for hip-hop enthusiasts as well as for those misinformed about hip-hop culture due to its intimate and honest portrayal of hard working independent artists. This film focuses on a group of intelligent, ambitious, and talented young men in pursuit of a dream, deconstructing the 'thug life' image that is often associated with the music.

A spiritual tale, Freestyle: The Art of Rhyme offers a unique glimpse into a driving force in modern-day culture while maintaining the elements of quintessential coming-of-age cinema: an honest and thought provoking portrayal of the experiences surrounding the pursuit of the dreams of youth. The artists in Freestyle provide insight into one of the least seen faces of present day hip-hop: improvisation and creativity.

PS. Remember Kool Keith makes his Irish Debut on Thursday October 27th in The Village Venue as part of DEAF2005 www.deafireland.com doors 9pm - should be a cracker!!!
Re: Freestyle The Art of Rhyme - Exclusive Showing & Live Show
September 28, 2005 08:05PM

savage stuff.day of me birthday and all! already seen the film highly reccomend evryone to go see it its fuckin quality

September 28, 2005 09:44PM

Current mood:
where can u get that dvd
September 28, 2005 11:48PM

they have a few copies in plugd on washington st mickey
September 28, 2005 11:52PM

Live performances from
Craig G - Juice - Punchline - Wordsworth ( Freestyle Extravaganza)

mark, ye legend! can't believe ye're pulling this off. should be fucking deadly.

September 29, 2005 12:54AM

seen the dvd in freebird u shud definately head out and see it here tho ul wanna see juice live after watchin the film n wordsworths pretty class 2

September 29, 2005 03:06AM

yeah saw this earlier on and was praying to holy jesus sittin on his throne flopping the bishop that all those performers were actually coming here. looks like he had a good one and granted my wish.
"mien eyes, the goggles do nothing"
September 29, 2005 01:46PM

Current mood:
i have the dvd its class, i cannot believe they are getting craig g and ju-ice over.
thats some nice work choice cuts.
can u get tickets in any shops or is it just online.

now to control my anger towards craig g for the most unfair manor in which he beat supernat.
September 29, 2005 05:20PM

Tickets will be on sale from monday via www.tickets.ie

we will drope them into all city, big brother, carbon and other spots towards end of next week

spread the word - this should be a class event

cheers

CHoice Cuts
September 29, 2005 11:50PM

Fuckin hell this will be incredible juice is class and craig g fuck sake all ya need is supernat to have a threeway. Cant wait for this. you legends. And shady it was unfair that he beat him the way he did but thats how it goes "when you go back home to indiana, get mike tyson out the slamma!!!" Had a spliff or two with supernat before his last gig over here. What a sound bloke.He walked and said "hi nugget im mc supernatural" i replied "oh my god,oh my god< oh my god! Where did you get that brownie?"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2005 11:57PM by NUGGET.
September 30, 2005 12:47PM

Current mood:
NUGGET Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Fuckin hell this will be incredible juice is class
> and craig g fuck sake all ya need is supernat to
> have a threeway. Cant wait for this. you legends.
> And shady it was unfair that he beat him the way
> he did but thats how it goes "when you go back
> home to indiana, get mike tyson out the slamma!!!"
> Had a spliff or two with supernat before his last
> gig over here. What a sound bloke.He walked and
> said "hi nugget im mc supernatural" i replied "oh
> my god,oh my god< oh my god! Where did you get
> that brownie?"
>
>
>
yes indeed supernat is a great great man. very approachable, alot of hiphop artists are assholes and distance them self from everybody else cause they believe there own hype and think there so cool. supernat always makes time to shake hands with people and say hello. last gig was great but i still prefared the one when flip was dj for him as he played alot longer then(shortening of the set may have had something to do with smoking ban)

and atleast supernat got his revenge on craig. that battle is crazy. u can hear the intensity in the 2s voices. they are literally shouting at each other.its on supernats lostfreestyle cd. as is the classic battle with ju-ice (all these fans they really dig me juice heres a little message for u from biggie)

ah u just cant beat good old supernat.
September 30, 2005 07:10PM

lol i knew you would be in this thread nugget kinda weird that its on consider u were talkin about it the other night
October 01, 2005 12:36AM

Yeah thats madness after the conversation about them lads. You headin to this?
October 01, 2005 12:44AM

ye ye sounds like a laugh shouldnt be in work on monday so ill be able to ge pissed
October 01, 2005 12:46AM

Yeah i rockon blakey will even go to this one just watched the dvd in his gaff tonight its fuckin class
October 01, 2005 12:47AM

can i get a lend of that dvd off ya it sounds good. ha ha deadly havent talked to blakey in a long long time
October 01, 2005 12:51AM

Yeah ya can have a lend no bother. Blakeys gettin more and more in to the hip hop weve polluted him. he always had and interest but i swear hes startin become and addict
October 01, 2005 12:54AM

lol like the wrestling?? ha ha
October 01, 2005 12:59AM

Yeah hes still into that but we dont want anyone moanin over ruinin a thread so gigs hip hop freestyle etc. im a fan
October 01, 2005 12:59AM

few more copies of the dvd upstaris in tower btw,

it's well worth buying, and definitely worth going to this^
October 01, 2005 03:41AM

holy fuck, u are a fucking icon man!

follow @itsnucentz
[facebook.com]
[www.myspace.com]
October 01, 2005 03:36PM

Did somebody say Dj Flip is doing a song with the legend Graig G from the Juice Crew?

dope!
October 01, 2005 03:56PM

You serious about that flip?
October 02, 2005 06:33PM

Current mood:
good old flip shamefully putting himself over at any oppertunity. but in seriosness... what nugget said.
October 02, 2005 06:40PM

yup word is bond!
October 02, 2005 06:51PM

Fair play to ya
October 02, 2005 07:00PM

thanks my lad, great news alright
October 02, 2005 07:32PM

You could sample the bridge and call it "ha'penny bridge"
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 19
Record Number of Users: 2 on February 07, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 103 on February 06, 2020
Donate towards my web hosting bill!