Posted by Wide O 
Tongiht: JERU THE DAMAJA and COLLIE at Ri Ra - just €12
October 07, 2005 02:10PM

JERU THE DAMAJA (GangStarr Foundation)

+

Collie

Ri Ra, Dame Court

Fri 7th October 2005. 11:30pm till late

Tickets €12 from City Discs, Sound Cellar, ROAD, All City or on the door.

One of the most respected MCs ever to have emerged from Brooklyn New York, JERU THE DAMAJA, graces our shores next month when he plays an intimate gig in Dublin’s Ri Ra on Friday 7th October. A rapper whose trademark is his straight-talking narrative style of rapping, JERU first shook the world on Gang Starr’s 1992 Daily Operations album. His last open show in Ireland was a sold out appearance at POD over four years ago so expect queues around the corner to see this legend in action.

Support comes from Donaghmede’s second biggest musical export Collie who stunned the most cynical of critics with a memorably confident show before Jurassic 5 at Vicar St last month. Having since played to some 80,000 at 02 in The Park; this show is something of a low-key affair for the man who is also celebrating the top 20 placing of his debut album Is Ainm Dom.

And the ticket price… €12 (yes twelve) euros only..

Jeru the Damaja – biography

Jeru the Damaja (born Jeru Davis) aka D. Original Dirty Rotten Scoundrel hails from Brooklyn, NY where he was born and raised. Jeru spent his early years in East New York, Brooklyn being introduced to hip hop music in the local parks “before it was popular” as he says. After completion of high school Jeru knew exactly what he wanted to do, be an MC. Influenced at the time by soon to be legends like Big Daddy Kane, Rakim, KRS One and Kool G Rap Jeru set out on his quest while he worked part time jobs in Manhattan.

Jeru created and took on the persona of “the Damaja” (because he damages the mic) that is part conscious truth teller and part true to the streets Brooklyn hard rock. Jeru the Damaja then hooked up with DJ Premiere and Guru, collectively known as Gangstarr, shortly after they moved to New York in the late 1980’s. Jeru first introduced his unique hardcore Brooklyn style to Hip Hop audiences on “I’m the Man” a track on Gangstarr’s 1992 Daily Operations album. The East New York native then cemented his place in the Hip Hop world by releasing the 1993 classic single “Come Clean” from his legendary album, The Sun Rises in the East. After a two year hiatus, Jeru then released his album The Wrath of the Math that included the hit singles “Ya Playin Yaself” and “Me or the Papes” and was proclaimed the savior of hip hop due to his honest and straightforward lyrics. In 2000 Jeru released his album Heroz 4 Hire completely autonomously, from the production of the album to the albums release on his own independent label KnowSavage Records. With this release he established himself as a multitalented, multifaceted, artist and business person and even ventured behind the camera by directing the videos for his single “99.9 %” and “El Presidente” a single with DJ Honda.

Since the release of his last album Heroz 4 Hire, Jeru has been touring extensively throughout the United States, Europe, South America, and Africa. In between tours Jeru has done joint projects with the gold selling UK group Groove Armada, DJ Cut Killa, Doudou Masta in France, DJ Honda from Japan now based in New York and recorded with DJ Hazu from Japan. A song Jeru did, “Verses of Doom” with the production of Chad Muska, a professional skateboarder, can be heard on the Tony Hawks Pro Skater 4 released the end of 2002 and is on Chad’s compilation album Muska Beatz.

Jeru is presently finishing production on his fourth album that will be released on his new label Ashenafi Records. It will feature production by Jeru, and new producers Ed Dantes and Sabor. The first single will be released in the summer of 2003. His latest release is highly anticipated by the entire hip-hop community and will be the culmination of ten celebrated years in the music business. Jeru believes that this will be his best work put together with fresh new production and will be reminiscent of the early days of hip hop.
Re: Tongiht: JERU THE DAMAJA and COLLIE at Ri Ra - just €12
October 07, 2005 02:23PM

`sweet sounds savage wats the door policy like at ri ra will i have to wear shoes, and is there many tickets leeft for it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2005 02:26PM by BigBren.
October 07, 2005 04:52PM

very relaxed door policy... wear what you like, just don't be a cunt to the bouncers
October 07, 2005 04:54PM

Mike Hunt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> very relaxed door policy... wear what you like,
> just don't be a cunt to the bouncers

is it relaxed for id though? I have a reasonable one - looks a bit like me
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 6
Record Number of Users: 2 on February 07, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 103 on February 06, 2020
Donate towards my web hosting bill!