Donate towards my web hosting bill!
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

B-Boy battle – Swords

Posted by CmX 
B-Boy battle – Swords
January 23, 2006 06:19PM

16 dancers wanted for battle in Swords on Friday 24th of Feb
The format will be one on one battles 16:8:4:2 and then the winner.
Once I have 16 names nobody else can enter due to time restrictions on the night. So mail me now if you’re interested.

This event isn’t just a bboy battle. Theres gonna be fire-eaters, henna tattooists, palm readers, podium dancers, jugglers,
Sideline Project MCing and yours truly hosting the night.

cmx@sidelineproject.com

www.sidelineproject.com

Re: B-Boy battle – Swords
January 25, 2006 09:59AM

Who's spinning the breaks for the B-Boy Battles?

[www.myspace.com]
[www.funkybelfast.tk]
[www.cplusboogie.tk]

January 26, 2006 06:57PM

yo age restrictions ?? i hate bein a kid !
January 26, 2006 10:39PM

Current mood:
4element rulezzzzzzzzz UNIOOOOO

---Crazy Squad---
www.facebook.com/unioo
www.Ditbreaksoc.com
January 26, 2006 11:46PM

Its a venue that serves alco so its 18+ I'm afraid but check for info on the gig in Portmarnock sports and leisure centre on the 11th of February.

uni00000 you got that right.

My Hip Hop Tracks
[www.myspace.com]
[www.bebo.com]

My Dance Tunes
[www.myspace.com]
[www.myspace.com]
February 01, 2006 09:31PM

Current mood:
February 01, 2006 09:44PM

Current mood:
February 01, 2006 09:54PM

Current mood:
What does Foundation really Mean?
Written By "Krayz E Kujo" March 23, 1999
Most b-boys, especially the older ones, consider foundation to be footwork, specifically six-step related footwork, and basic freezes. It's what most b-boys recommend to the inquisitive beginner to start off with. Mastery of foundation is considered the essence of a "true b-boy," and mastery of footwork techniques is what separates b-boys from other dancers. Or so they say. Most breakers I know personally, including myself, did NOT start off learning foundation footwork. The first move I learned was turtles, and many other people I know started with windmills or other basic power moves, or freezes, or a general understanding of rhythm. That's THEIR foundation, and I've noticed that every breaker who starts off on the "wrong" foot looks TOTALLY different from any other breaker or dancer.
Here's my contention: If every would-be breaker started off learning the six-step and other accepted b-boy foundation movements, they would all look relatively similar. This can be either good or bad, depending on your point of view. It's good because we'll all look like "b-boys" as opposed to ballet dancers, but it might not be so good because we'll all look like we're doing the same thing. I don't mean we'll all be clones; we're all different people, with different qualities and capabilities, and we'll all interpret the same dance differently. There's nothing at all wrong with that. BUT...what if everybody started off learning something different? What if a would-be breaker never learned footwork, but had an amazing capacity for rhythm and freezes? Or power moves? Or something we haven't even conceived of yet? Would that person still be considered a b-boy?
By learning and mastering basic footwork, you're understanding the FUNDAMENTALS of the dance once known as "rocking." The more you play with that style, the more your personality shines through. You eventually form your own unique interpretation of an established dance. You've thus chosen a convenient means of expressing your soul. That can't be bad...but it can be limiting. So then, you explore other movements. You learn power moves, you polish your toprocks, freezes, etc. But the fact remains: although every dancer interprets the dance ("rocking") differently, you still look relatively similar to every other dancer who does the same dance. Again, this is not a bad thing at all. It just depends on what YOU want. Dance is art...art is the expression of the soul...and the soul is without limits.
Say someone isn't too attracted to footwork, and wants to learn power moves and combos. We've seen it many times. They're often looked down upon and referred to as "urban gymnasts." But like it or not, they pushing the limits of the human body's capabilities, and they're pushing the boundaries of breaking. They're doing what they FEEL. They choose to focus on movements other than footwork, because they CAN. That's his foundation. Or, say someone has a natural talent for dancing and acting, and he's not too interested in footwork; say it's too "robotic" for him. But he has the most graceful movements and loads of character, and hits beautiful freezes. He takes advantage of his capabilities, and ignores the rules, because he CAN. And that's HIS foundation. There are plenty of situations we can come up with. If people are allowed to express themselves in the myriad ways that they truly want to, the result will be the creation of new forms of movement, and new dances...as opposed to new "styles," or interpretations.
With time, comes evolution. Many aspects of the dance originally known as "rocking" have been expanded upon, in many ways. Our freedom as b-boys continues to be regulated by those who were there since the birth of the dance, and by those influenced by those pioneers. People who break the rules are excommunicated. But the rules have been bent since the beginning, and they will continue to be bent, more and more, until what people are doing looks nothing like the vision shared by the founders of breaking. It's a beautiful thing.

Think about it: if people are allowed total artistic freedom, and are able to develop their own "foundations," some blessed individual may stumble upon a whole new DANCE, as opposed to a mere interpretation of an established dance form. Where would be if somebody, God forbid, had told Don Campbell he was doing the Funky Chicken wrong, and taught him the "correct" way? He broke the rules...but he's revered, and rightfully so, as one of the pioneers of street dance. There will be another Don Campbell...there will be another Bruce Lee...there will be another Charlie Parker.
If the powers that be dictate that a b-boy is defined by constricted criteria (i.e., six-step), then I am not a b-boy. With or without "foundation," I am still KUJO, and always will be. And no one on this planet will ever be better than me at being Kujo. Peace.
February 04, 2006 01:49PM

Current mood:
Judging is very contreversial today! Everybody will never be satisfied when they cannot fully understand how they are being judged. Yes there is five categories, but each judge is looking only at one category. The problem is that sometimes each judge looks more than just their category. So now i always make sure that the judges are judging their category correctly. It is possible to use only 3 judges, but they only judge on the three main categories, the other two categories can be incorporated as well but not as much emphasis on them." 1 foundation and dance 2 originality and style 3 difficulty 4 execution 5 strategy
February 05, 2006 03:15AM

It defo is. Thats why you got 3rd place at Battle Of Ireland, lol. Only kidding.

Its defo a valid point but has nothing to do with the arrangements for Swords. The Irish B-Boy scene Is made up of 30-40 people and we're all good friends. So If the judges are Irish, then any controversial decisions are likley due to Different opinions, eg I prefer Style before Power. A jude may prefer power over Style. But the judges decision is final. A good example of this is battle of Ireland. I'm not making accusations, and I have no Beef with any of the judges involved, But I think they prefered Power over style. This is not an incorrect attitude to have. Its just different from my own attitude. I couldn't even say that my own opinion is correct. its just my own opinion. But Every B-Boy has his own attitudes on what they prefer. So you have to remember that Being a judge is tough. People like Bonn and Roscommon Dave are 2 of very few people in Ireland Who are capable of judging. Scoring rounds is very difficult. I'll admit I am not Capable of judging. If I was running an event, I know that they would be the first 2 people I'd ask to judge it.

But anyways, lets not start unneccessary beef. More Peace. Respect for Judges, and most importantly, Back to the topic of Swords Battles

[www.myspace.com]
[www.funkybelfast.tk]
[www.cplusboogie.tk]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 30
Record Number of Users: 6 on September 17, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 252 on August 17, 2020
Donate towards my web hosting bill!