Donate towards my web hosting bill!
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Hip Hop books

Posted by Canttouchthis 
Hip Hop books
March 22, 2006 10:36PM

Any good books about hip-hop that you know of? Please tell me, i wanna read them
Re: Hip Hop books
March 22, 2006 10:51PM

my one when I finish it some time next year Laughing
March 22, 2006 11:08PM

wugambino@gmail.com [wugambino.bebo.com]

[www.wutangcorp.com] [www.chambermusik.com]

''Visions of hell tormented my fate so i chewed my fuckin' arm off and made an escape'' - RZA (Gravediggaz - Diary Of A Madman)

''Homicide's illegal and death is the penalty, What justifies the homicide, when he dies?'' - Masta Killa (Wu-Tang Clan - Da Mystery Of Chessboxin')
March 22, 2006 11:43PM

Current mood:
March 22, 2006 11:45PM

ur pictures fuckin wreck my head.

(yeah come back with another picture, its the obvious joke, U love them)
March 22, 2006 11:54PM

Current mood:
You seem 2 worry 2 much about my pictures Verb!
I'd understand maybe if you had dial-up and it did your head in waithing 4 it 2 load up the pix!
Relax man...
March 23, 2006 12:05AM

The Rap Attack by David Toop
March 23, 2006 12:10AM

Current mood:
Rebel For The Hell Of It...
March 23, 2006 12:20AM

The rough guide to hiphop by peter shapiro is a fairly good book.
The 2pac book with the black and white photo on the front i think its just called tupac shakur.
The book of hiphop cover art by andrew emery is really good.
Have gun will travel by ronin ro is about death row records. Its quite a good one.
The 2pac book that came out when resurection came out with just pictures and stuff he wrote is also quite a good read.
March 23, 2006 12:44AM

BOMB THE SUBURBS.

amazingly interesting book^

<<< MO-T >>>

<<< Beats >>>
March 23, 2006 12:03PM

Yes yes y'all an oral history of hiphop = great
Where you're at - patrick neate = not as good but worth a read
Can't stop won't stop - a history of the hiphop generation - geoffrey chang = alright
haven't read tricksta - nick cohn, but it seems like it would be well worth a read

On a reggae tip
Bass Culture - Alex Bradley - is well well worth a read - sure hiphop is the child of reggae anyways!
March 23, 2006 07:32PM

^i liked 'where you're at', 'the men behind def jam' by alex ogg is worth reading too, good history lesson, even if it is biased towards rubin & simmons
March 23, 2006 08:01PM

I know its not hiphop but the beatles anthology is a great book
March 23, 2006 09:39PM

Queens Reigns Supreme is one of the best books iv ever read honestly

The Inc Online

March 24, 2006 01:51AM

one of the best books i've ever read. a fucking great read, it covers everything that helped shape hip hop into what it is, from why dr dre got into nwa in the first place to the politic's behind the shaping of new york's projects which in time gave us some the greatest mc's in the game. a must read for any real hip hop fan!
March 24, 2006 02:10AM

reading is gay
March 24, 2006 11:25AM

Can't stop won't stop is good in a lot of ways, like the way it extends the scope of inquiry to take in salient politicial, cultural and social developments, which undoubtedly was the impetus behind the hiphop movement. Benign Neglect, the cycle of escalation and de-escalation of gang violence, the re-development (read de: development of the Bronx), the economic cirsis in Jamaica - causing mass emmigration to the Bronx.
My only complaint about the book is a few factual errors in the reggae/Jamaica section and a writing style that can be really OTT a lot of the time - he has really done his research and has good facts at his fingertips - yet he falls foul of overanalysis and flowery language where there's just no need for it.

Yes, I'm a nerd, I know it.

Flip, not only is reading gay, but so are girls!
March 24, 2006 03:52PM

Current mood:
The Vibe history of Hip hop is a good read.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 9
Record Number of Users: 4 on February 28, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 103 on February 06, 2020
Donate towards my web hosting bill!