Anonymous User
R.I.P Big L
February 15, 2009 07:53PM

10 Years Dead Today
Re: R.I.P Big L
February 15, 2009 08:34PM

GOMBL

Street struck

put it on (top 5 best hip hop songs ever)

radio ish

murderin jay-z on the radio
February 15, 2009 08:38PM

RIP
Top 5 DOA

But did he murder Jay Z on that "freestyle"?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
February 15, 2009 08:39PM

how dare you,
listen to his 2nd verse, not only did he merk him(no busher boy) jay bite shis shit .....all ive got is hard dick and bubble gum....
February 15, 2009 08:50PM

I think Jay held his own, considering he was actually freestyling off the top of the dome.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
February 15, 2009 09:09PM

Seamy Sizzle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think Jay held his own, considering he was
> actually freestyling off the top of the dome.

always said this ls verse is clase but its clearly written jayzs wasnt whats the point in saying he murdered him on this anyway the whole thing is class

rip big l he went too early sickens me that ppl dont know who he is

Go on the pats!!!!!!!!
February 15, 2009 09:14PM

Ls as good as it gets for me love his punches. Have everybody big l release i could get me hands on. Mixtapes, albums etc and about 30 twelves of his singles and ditc shit and a deadly live album that oc sold me.

The freestyle with jay theyre both class couldnt pick between them to be honest. Shame he died right when it looked he was gonna get somewhere.

R.I.P.

[www.youtube.com]
[www.soundcloud.com]
[www.myspace.com]
[www.facebook.com]
[www.reverbnation.com]
February 15, 2009 09:51PM

RIP
ONE OF THE BEST YET

February 15, 2009 10:05PM

R.I.P.

February 16, 2009 04:03AM

Current mood:
them songs are good

but

i prefer his style on ready to die.. he must have got fat when he made money ya?
how come he's fat in the movie even when he's a child?
shit dont make sense....

i will always support
February 16, 2009 04:54AM

you're thinking of big pun
February 16, 2009 05:31AM

haha, classic.
February 16, 2009 11:09AM

lol @ bign

and L is for me top 5 DOA no question, undoubtedly one of the greatest

February 16, 2009 11:57AM

Current mood:
My favourite ever. Never heard a bad track. LOTP&D is one the greatest albums of any genre ever.

February 16, 2009 03:10PM

BigN Wrote:
> them songs are good
>
> but
>
> i prefer his style on ready to die.. he must have
> got fat when he made money ya?
> how come he's fat in the movie even when he's a
> child?
> shit dont make sense....

Lmao

February 16, 2009 04:40PM

From Kevin Beacham...

The Redefinition Of Time Travel w/ Kevin Beacham: Big L Rarities & Press Kits

Usually I do something to focus on the Redefinition Radio shows, but with the anniversary of Big L’s death today, I wanted to dedicate this offering to him.

[www.sendspace.com]
TRACKS: Timez Is Hard, I Shoulda Used A Rubba, & School Daze.

Here’s the three rare joints taken off his debut album from the original promo tape (scans included). I also included all of his press kit stuff I had which includes: original Columbia bio, original Columbia press photo, Rawkus bio, 2 Rawkus press photos, & a few press releases.

Big L was a good dude. I won’t go far as to say we were “friends” or anything like that, but we crossed paths a few times and talked about Hip Hop, lyrics, and things of the sort.

My first meeting with him was somewhat of a humbling experience. It was in the Summer of ‘94 and I was on one of my regular trips to New York to take in the scene, buy new music and check out Rock Steady Anniversary. It was me and my man Zeke. We were staying in Harlem at Grav’s Mom’s place (at the time Zeke and Grav were a group called Indigenous Theory). There was this late night chicken shack not too far from his spot so it was a nightly adventure to walk up there any time past midnight.

On one of the first nights, we are at the spot in a long line and something must have got me excited or whatever cause I was “preaching” about the state of Mcing or something like that. It started out as just a convo between Zeke and I but as it went on and we noticed people starting to take interest it got more elevated. There was one guy in particular about 4 or 5 people back really checking us out and listening in. On our way out, he was like “You MC?”. I was like, “Yeah, since 1980, but now I’m more focused on the business side of things and journalism...my man Zeke is an MC.”. He’s like, “Yeah, I rhyme too. I got a deal with Columbia and I’ll be dropping soon”. Being that in New York everyone rhymes and got a deal I didn’t think much of it and sort of blew him off with a “Oh word. What’s the name? I’ll check for you....”. He’s like “L”
and we give pounds and say peace.

I walk outside and something just hit me with an interest to know where we were so I look up and it’s the cross streets of Lenox and 133rd (or something like that). Then my rap computer brain kicked in and I was like “Hold up...”. I go back inside and I’m like “Big L???”. His face lit up a bit and he’s like “Yeah. You heard of me?”. At this time, he only had the verses on “Represent” and the “Yes You MayRemix”...”Devil’s Son” promos might have just started leaking out.

I was like, “Yeah man. You killed it on those guest appearance joints”. I apologize for blowing him off but tell him why and he knows the deal on the “everyone raps and got a deal in New York steez” so we are all good. We talk a bit. I tell him about my promotions company in Chicago and that I’ll have his back out there when he drops so we exchange numbers and say peace.

A little less than a year later, Notorious B.I.G had a Platinum party in Chicago (at Club Drink I think...) and it’s a star-studded affair; Puffy is there, Lorenzo Tate is chilling at the bar, still hot off his Menace To Society rep, and so on. It’s not really my kind of scene but I’m trying to network for my upcoming magazine (Caught In the Middle) and my promotions company (Rage Promotions). I’m just chilling and out of nowhere Big L steps up and is like “What’s Up”. I'm can't remember why he was there in Chicago, but it was unexpected. We kick it for a bit and catch up on what’s going on with his project and whatever. While we are talking Puffy comes by to say what’s up to Big L and someone asks to snap a flick. I’ve seen the flick but never got my hands on it. I imagine that picture is somewhere with the caption, “Puffy, Big L and unknown friend”...ha.

Anyway, L and I stayed in contact for about another year or so, off n on thru phone calls. Then I hit a stressful point in life and was sort of unreachable for a while and in that time I lost contact with a lot of people (mostly artists) who I was talking to on the regular. In any event, Big L was killing it with every release and I continued to love and support his music on my Time Travel radio show and by word of mouth.

When I heard about his death I was in the middle of my first break from the radio show since ‘95 cause I never missed a show for any reason, but I was getting real frustrated with things so I was thinking about quitting the show. When I found out about Big L getting shot it hit me. I just thought about the senseless murder, the loss of a great artist, the loss of good person, and also how you can stop contact with people thinking you’ll hit them up “whenever” because you got time...though that’s not always true and we shouldn’t take those things for granted. I came back to show the next week to do a dedication to Big L. I stayed on the air strong until 2002 and I moved to MPLS.

R.I.P Big L (May 30, 1974 - February 15, 1999).
February 16, 2009 06:10PM

Current mood:
jay z kept running ouuta breath and shit in the freestyle, big l came out looking better after it me thinks!
big l is the best, if not, one of the best rappers of all time! dont gonna do the whole r.i.p thing coz think its a tad gay Very Happy
Anonymous User
February 16, 2009 06:58PM

redzer Wrote:
> jay z kept running ouuta breath and shit in the
> freestyle, big l came out looking better after it
> me thinks!
> big l is the best, if not, one of the best rappers
> of all time! dont gonna do the whole r.i.p thing
> coz think its a tad gay Very Happy

You just said "Tad" so you might as well come out nowWink

Not one of the big hip-hop sites or blogs gave him any shine yesterday though which is a pity, especially on the 10th anniversary. I was so irked I hit up Miss Info who tried to rally the troops on twitter to no avail.

Primo did an ill tribute to him on the 9th anniversary, told some cool stories, spoke with Lord Finesse and his eldest brother and played some rare-ish joints, his mother died on the 9th anniversary, there was talk of a DVD being released today but it obviously never materialised

part one [www.undergroundhiphop.com]
part two [www.undergroundhiphop.com]
February 16, 2009 07:10PM

Current mood:
Great punchlines, but overrated?
February 16, 2009 07:29PM

Current mood:
Never.

February 16, 2009 07:46PM

no way...
Anonymous User
February 16, 2009 08:30PM

Johnzy Jay Wrote:
> Great punchlines, but overrated?

He is under-rated if anything.
February 16, 2009 08:56PM

Current mood:
I wouldn't say under-rated, just not known too well.
But almost everybody who has heard of him (properly) rate him very highly. Too highly in my opinion.
Not saying he couldn't have been one of the best, it's just that it's kinda hard to know, because he never really had to chance to shine for long enough.
February 16, 2009 10:34PM

defo one of the best to ever do it, his lyrics were mind blowing, jay z never impressed me with what he says
February 16, 2009 10:38PM

youre a dj what would you know anything about anything for?

[www.facebook.com]

Follow Me on Twitter
February 16, 2009 10:40PM

i had sex with your parrot.
February 16, 2009 10:41PM

one of the best hip hop songs...one of my fave beats ever..

take this society
February 16, 2009 10:48PM

Religious Ro Wrote:
> i had sex with your parrot.

wouldnt blame ya either

[www.facebook.com]

Follow Me on Twitter
February 16, 2009 10:50PM

spidermannn that parrottttttt youuuuuuuuuu

[www.facebook.com]

Follow Me on Twitter
February 16, 2009 11:04PM

Fat Joe on The Enemy = Incredible!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 21
Record Number of Users: 6 on September 17, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 252 on August 17, 2020
Donate towards my web hosting bill!