Donate towards my web hosting bill!
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Question: Would you dismiss music purely because of its political/faith based subject matter?

Posted by Seaneh 
Question: Would you dismiss music purely because of its political/faith based subject matter?
April 08, 2011 01:38AM


Like,
Would you instantly write off Political and Faith based MC's and not listen to their music purely because of what they rap about?

I've been thinking about it lately, and there are a decent amount of damned good Christian MC's of different types, LeCrea, for example, is mad nice on tracks, was offered commercial record deals on the basis that he changed his subject matter to something more marketable.
Trip Lee is a fecking teenager and is really nice. Signed to Lecrea's label and based in Atlanta.
They tend to have a more mainstream rap sound, and would be as good, if not better, than 99% of the shit played in hiphop radio these days,

Then there are UK artists like Jahaziel who won a MoBo a while back, got played a fair bit on kiss/Radio1extra and is pretty good.

Then you have more grimey/underground sounding acts like ALERT, who use pretty dark imagery and politically based lyrics while still having a Christian message. I personally quite like them.

Then you have people who are known from other areas who are now Christian or have a lot of Christian undertones in their music.
Jin, as most of you will know, converted to Christianity just before he moved to Hongkong, and fair enough, most of you think he's shit, but he's releasing better music now than he has since Top 5 Dead or Alive.
Diggy Simmons (ok, he's a kid and his dad is a reverend) has a LOT of biblically based lyrics and talks about Christ/God/Holy Spirit in a lot of his songs, and I think most of you would agree the lad is damned good for someone young enough to be in 4th year in secondary school.

Then you have the political/Socially conscious stuff like Immortal Technique, Jedi Mind Tricks, Common, Mos Def, Kweli, Lupe (who uses a lot of Qur'an based lyrics/islamic imagery), Dead Prez etc who people either seem to love or hate solely because of their message rather than being to appreciate their lyricism, style, flow etc. Like, people who hate Immortal Tech, always just say they "cant listen to his shite" same for Dead Prez, people find Common "too preachy" or so forth.


But could you lot actually listen to a Christian/Islamic/Politically/Socially Conscious based rapper and appreciate the skill, without just writing them off because of the foundation of their content?



p.s. obviously for every good Christian rapper you have 15 KJ52's, but in fairness, for every Jay Z you have 15 MIMS'

p.p.s. Yes, I am Christian, and no, people who believe in a God are not idiots. The Head of the Human Genome Project is devout Evangelical Christian, the person who developed the "hypothesis of the primeval atom'" (aka the big bang theory) was a Belgian Priest and Albert Einstein's ;ifes work was based around his desire to "know how God created this world, I am not interested in this or that phenomenon, in the spectrum of this or that element. I want to know His thoughts, the rest are details.", although he was a deist.

-Seaneh



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2011 01:44AM by Seaneh.
Re: Question: Would you dismiss music purely because of its political/faith based subject matter?
April 08, 2011 01:54AM



Current mood:
It kinda depends to what extent you consider guys like Immortal Technique to be politically/socially conscious. Tinfoil hats and calling for revolution can be a bit ridiculous sometimes.

Though I'll admit if someone is introduced to me as a "Christian rapper" (or anything along those lines), I'd be less inclined to listen.
Re: Question: Would you dismiss music purely because of its political/faith based subject matter?
April 08, 2011 02:10AM



Current mood:
Most rapper content bores the shit out of me over the course of an album. I'll listen to most stuff a few times but there are only a handful that i listen to over and over. No reason it couldn't be a christian rapper i suppose but none of them have really grabbed me. Faith and politics aren't the most interesting subjects are they? I just sat through a catholic church special of vincent brown panelists even looked bored.

Generally speaking i prefer raps with no rigid plot, dense rhyming, and a dose of humour/sillyness.

Reason lots of ppl hate immortal technique/aesop rock is the extreme amounts of syllables per bar. Opposite of someone like styles p/big l.

---------------------------------


| Twitter | Facebook | Youtube
Re: Question: Would you dismiss music purely because of its political/faith based subject matter?
April 08, 2011 04:59AM



Current mood:
I'll dismiss this thread purely because of it's length/subject matter


Re: Question: Would you dismiss music purely because of its political/faith based subject matter?
April 08, 2011 05:02AM


Well im antoganist, so i dont wanna hear someone telling me loads of shit about god..
Fact is god cant do anything, so theres no point wasting time praying. And listening to someone rap about praying is worse still. I like listening too lyrics, and a lot of my new shit has a way more deep meaning, but if i wanted to go too mass all ive to do is climb a fence cross a feild and up the road:L
Re: Question: Would you dismiss music purely because of its political/faith based subject matter?
April 08, 2011 05:03AM


Trip Lee isnt a teenager, hes 23, i googled himRazz
Re: Question: Would you dismiss music purely because of its political/faith based subject matter?
April 08, 2011 07:28AM

avatar

Current mood:
Super CIARAN Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well im antoganist,

do you mean agnostic?

i only read the first line of that essay but to answer the subject title - definetly. why would i want to listen to someone rap about religion? and unless i agreed with someone political messege i definetly wouldnt be listening to them either.


Re: Question: Would you dismiss music purely because of its political/faith based subject matter?
April 08, 2011 07:33AM


Xenu Jones Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Super CIARAN Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Well im antoganist,
>
> do you mean agnostic?
>
> i only read the first line of that essay but to
> answer the subject title - definetly. why would i
> want to listen to someone rap about religion? and
> unless i agreed with someone political messege i
> definetly wouldnt be listening to them either.

Thats the one!! I normaly say athiest but my friend told me agnostics the correct word when i described itRazz
Re: Question: Would you dismiss music purely because of its political/faith based subject matter?
April 08, 2011 08:37AM


Super CIARAN Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Trip Lee isnt a teenager, hes 23, i googled himRazz


Sorry, when he released his first album he was 19, my bad, it was late-o-clock.

-Seaneh
Re: Question: Would you dismiss music purely because of its political/faith based subject matter?
April 08, 2011 10:06AM


Lol okayRazz I tried listening to his music, but his MySpace froze lol, i guess ill never hear what he sounds like:L Have to give him credit though, he started doing christian rap when he was my age, (14). Thats brave, in school only my closest friends know i rap, he wouldve probably gotten mocked A LOT for it... But he stuck with it, so for that, ive respect for himSmile
Re: Question: Would you dismiss music purely because of its political/faith based subject matter?
April 08, 2011 10:46AM



Current mood:
Yes I would

Re: Question: Would you dismiss music purely because of its political/faith based subject matter?
April 08, 2011 10:59AM

avatar

Current mood:
I love music for the music, the message is secondary at best, so yes I defo would (and do) listen to religious music.

Listening to a type of music with a relgious or political slant does not automatically make you of that persuasion.





Re: Question: Would you dismiss music purely because of its political/faith based subject matter?
April 08, 2011 12:30PM


bad track to make your point stop I had to turn it off 30 seconds in. Unless you were being sarcastic, then good job.

Generally im not going to listen to a rapper who would market themselves as a christian rapper as I dont believe in the things they do so im going to have no interest in what they say.



Go on the pats!!!!!!!!
Re: Question: Would you dismiss music purely because of its political/faith based subject matter?
April 08, 2011 12:53PM


I do it to people so why not music

Re: Question: Would you dismiss music purely because of its political/faith based subject matter?
April 08, 2011 01:00PM


ron that track is a classic brother
Re: Question: Would you dismiss music purely because of its political/faith based subject matter?
April 08, 2011 02:05PM


would you listen to a rapper who went on all the time about worshipping unicorns or practicing witchcraft? actually that would probably at least give a few laughs. i would listen to a christian rapper if they had great technical skills yet even that would grate after a while, much like i can watch movies like citizen kane or rashomon for their technique even though they are incredibly boring, but i wouldnt watch them over and over again. on the other hand if the rapper didnt try and make you gag on god in every other track then it wouldnt even be an issue. ie i dont give a fuck what crazy beliefs anyone chooses to hold just dont bore me with going on about it.

___________________________________________________________________________________________


Re: Question: Would you dismiss music purely because of its political/faith based subject matter?
April 08, 2011 02:10PM


same applies to rappers who go on about their boring politics by the way

___________________________________________________________________________________________


Re: Question: Would you dismiss music purely because of its political/faith based subject matter?
April 08, 2011 02:15PM

avatar
i'd have no problems listening to a christian rapper if that's all they were but 99% of religious cunts don't follow jesus' teachings at all - love your neighbour as yourself unless they're muslim/gay/an unbaptised child, then they can suffer damnation for all eternity.

Re: Question: Would you dismiss music purely because of its political/faith based subject matter?
April 08, 2011 02:26PM

avatar

Current mood:
Re: Question: Would you dismiss music purely because of its political/faith based subject matter?
April 08, 2011 04:30PM

avatar

Current mood:
Why are you all talking about rappers as if there is no music beyond rappers? There are loads of tracks that I love with religious themes. I'm not religious at all but good music is good music, period! (no gash blood)



Re: Question: Would you dismiss music purely because of its political/faith based subject matter?
April 08, 2011 06:18PM


because this is the hiphop section on a hiphop website and the op was talking about rap music

___________________________________________________________________________________________


Re: Question: Would you dismiss music purely because of its political/faith based subject matter?
April 08, 2011 07:08PM


KDeath Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i'd have no problems listening to a christian
> rapper if that's all they were but 99% of
> religious cunts don't follow jesus' teachings at
> all - love your neighbour as yourself unless
> they're muslim/gay/an unbaptised child, then they
> can suffer damnation for all eternity.


But that's people being gobshites and being a la carte theists.
Happens with everything though, people, in general, are knobs.

-Seaneh
Re: Question: Would you dismiss music purely because of its political/faith based subject matter?
April 09, 2011 12:10AM


mrdapper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> would you listen to a rapper who went on all the
> time about worshipping unicorns or practicing
> witchcraft?

Ever hear some of Eminems more underground songs? lol
Not sure if he ever mentioned worshipping unicorns though... But thatd work for him pretty cool!
Well, before recovery like... Btw i think he has a new mixtape dropping called "Searching for marshall mathers" or "losing marshall mathers" something like that...
Re: Question: Would you dismiss music purely because of its political/faith based subject matter?
April 09, 2011 12:41AM

avatar

Current mood:
I haven't been typing on this place much because I'm trying to perfect a way of using my mind as a keyboard. But I just had to bust out the old-school qwerty to ask you if you are a real fucking person. whut in the goat shit are you on about? why the fuck are you talking about eminem all of a sudden? I am fucking lost. and I walk around the place pretty fucking lost these days. but this has taken it to a new fucking extreme. I've an idea. why don't you go and find out if eminem ever mentioned raping unicorns in one of his underground records you know like the slim slavery lp. shit was tight. back in those dayz he raped only the hardcore shit. not now. but I have a theory. the new eminem with non-bleached hair is actually the REAL marshall mathars and the blonde guy is slim shady, his persona. mind fuck.

Re: Question: Would you dismiss music purely because of its political/faith based subject matter?
April 09, 2011 12:42AM

avatar

Current mood:
ps ekans is snake spelt backwards.

double mindfuck.

Re: Question: Would you dismiss music purely because of its political/faith based subject matter?
April 09, 2011 12:57AM


ta$te Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I haven't been typing on this place much because
> I'm trying to perfect a way of using my mind as a
> keyboard. But I just had to bust out the
> old-school qwerty to ask you if you are a real
> fucking person. whut in the goat shit are you on
> about? why the fuck are you talking about eminem
> all of a sudden? I am fucking lost. and I walk
> around the place pretty fucking lost these days.
> but this has taken it to a new fucking extreme.
> I've an idea. why don't you go and find out if
> eminem ever mentioned raping unicorns in one of
> his underground records you know like the slim
> slavery lp. shit was tight. back in those dayz he
> raped only the hardcore shit. not now. but I have
> a theory. the new eminem with non-bleached hair is
> actually the REAL marshall mathars and the blonde
> guy is slim shady, his persona. mind fuck.

FFS, Chill out!!-.-
Mdrapper wrote something that sounded exactly like an eminem thing, so i said that.
And if it took you that long too figure out all that split personality shit, then stick to listening to fuckin T.I. or Lil Wayne or someone so shit you cant understand what they say, like ja rule.
The blonde hair thing was actually all a big accident, he was out of it on acid, bleached his hair, showed up at aftermath the next day and the label decided thatd be the slim shady 'look'. Then when Proof was shot he got all depressive, changed his style completely and stopped dying his hair.
If you dont like him dont listen to him...
Re: Question: Would you dismiss music purely because of its political/faith based subject matter?
April 09, 2011 12:59AM


cool anecdote bro

i am not a fucking set of drapes though btw

___________________________________________________________________________________________


Re: Question: Would you dismiss music purely because of its political/faith based subject matter?
April 09, 2011 01:13AM

avatar

Current mood:
Super CIARAN Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ta$te Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I haven't been typing on this place much
> because
> > I'm trying to perfect a way of using my mind as
> a
> > keyboard. But I just had to bust out the
> > old-school qwerty to ask you if you are a real
> > fucking person. whut in the goat shit are you
> on
> > about? why the fuck are you talking about
> eminem
> > all of a sudden? I am fucking lost. and I walk
> > around the place pretty fucking lost these
> days.
> > but this has taken it to a new fucking extreme.
> > I've an idea. why don't you go and find out if
> > eminem ever mentioned raping unicorns in one of
> > his underground records you know like the slim
> > slavery lp. shit was tight. back in those dayz
> he
> > raped only the hardcore shit. not now. but I
> have
> > a theory. the new eminem with non-bleached hair
> is
> > actually the REAL marshall mathars and the
> blonde
> > guy is slim shady, his persona. mind fuck.
>
> FFS, Chill out!!-.-
> Mdrapper wrote something that sounded exactly like
> an eminem thing, so i said that.
> And if it took you that long too figure out all
> that split personality shit, then stick to
> listening to fuckin T.I. or Lil Wayne or someone
> so shit you cant understand what they say, like ja
> rule.
> The blonde hair thing was actually all a big
> accident, he was out of it on acid, bleached his
> hair, showed up at aftermath the next day and the
> label decided thatd be the slim shady 'look'. Then
> when Proof was shot he got all depressive, changed
> his style completely and stopped dying his hair.
> If you dont like him dont listen to him...

wtf are you talking about. acid doesn't make your hair yellow. ok I just said about eminem having two personalities, marshall mathars and slim slavery. then you say it in a post AFTER me and you have the fucking nerve to tell me it took me "that long to figure it out". I just figured that shit out for you.

ps the reason slim slavery has yellow hair was because eminem decided to dress up like a canary for his first meeting with dr. dre. he wore a yellow suit and yellow hair. it wasn't because he was on acid you freak. the song "to kill a mocking bird" on curtain call is about that metaphorically.

Re: Question: Would you dismiss music purely because of its political/faith based subject matter?
April 09, 2011 01:22AM


Thats not on curtain call, it might be on encore or the eminem show.
Nah man, in his book he says he was really out of it on acid, and decided he would bleach his hair.
Maybe the canary jumpsuit was related too, and that was the reason, or whatever. I dont really give a shit tbh.. He can do what he wants.
I like his music. And i LOVE his beats, him and Mr.Porter are two of my fave producers ever.
Btw, can you explain the Slim Slavery thing?
Re: Question: Would you dismiss music purely because of its political/faith based subject matter?
April 09, 2011 01:23AM



Current mood:
When I thought about it there's religious albums I like, but they're not rap.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Name of the other ones escapes me.. was more of a pisstake of the bible though. The bands name started with The.. which doesn't make them very easy to google.

...aha! It was Thermals. Close enough.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Both whopper albums. Mediafire that shit.

---------------------------------


| Twitter | Facebook | Youtube
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 15
Record Number of Users: 4 on February 28, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 111 on August 07, 2020
Donate towards my web hosting bill!