Donate towards my web hosting bill!
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

to be honest

Posted by I.N.K 
Re: to be honest
August 23, 2011 10:38PM

haha fair enough,ive never heard any of ratmans beats,that im aware of
i dont really bother with irish hiphop unless i know its gonna be good,been burnt to many times haha
August 23, 2011 10:43PM

Current mood:
He did that guns of dublin choon, dublife and some of the stuff of nuie's why be modest! he wasn't the one form the convo i had with shapey btw Very Happy

[soundcloud.com] [www.soundcloud.com] [www.facebook.com]

Good Stuff EP

[goodvibesociety.bandcamp.com]
August 23, 2011 10:56PM

Current mood:
Alright one more. Tony Mahony. His stuff is solid to an extent but it brings out the worst in most people. Tera is the first person who started using him heavily and that was grand cos he's written a lot of that kind of grim whats wrong with the world stuff when Dark Half or whatever his name was did the beats. He's able to find news ways of saying everything sucks without being a cliche. The drum patterns are so classic that you hear it and think i know how to rhyme over this but they're so familiar and copy paste sounding you'd have to create a new flow over it or it's going to sound like a weak mid 90s retread. Some of his beats are grand (particularly the ones Tera gets) but the majority are syrupy let me hammer you over the head that this is an emotional my life sucks beat that it's overkill before the emcee even spits a lyric about how he's emotional and his life sucks. And it's dated as fuck. I like mid 90s beats when G.I. or Roc Marciano does it but thats cos it's got a 2011 twist and the drums sound like they've tapped in, placed just so and the mix is unfamiliar.

---------------------------------

| Twitter | Facebook | Youtube
August 23, 2011 11:05PM

Current mood:
Tony Mahony was the man you were talking to me about.... i wouldn't be a huge fan.

Good Stuff EP

August 23, 2011 11:18PM

really? i think tonys beats are bangers,havent heard anything recently but i kinda get what youre saying,
with tera been able to bring out the best of it do you not think it just means the rappers are all unimaginative fools?
August 24, 2011 12:05AM

Current mood:
Ah here now. D'beats back me up properly now. We're in this together.

August 24, 2011 01:15AM

GI & Roc Marc definitley incorporate enough newness into golden era type beats to stop them sounding outdated, I disagree with the Tony Mahoney comment though, have a couple of his productions on my new shit and you'd be hardpressed to tell them apart from any of the other beats. I think its all on the emcee, Tonys beats are ill when Teras on them not so much other rappers.
August 24, 2011 05:57AM

Current mood:
it's all about the crowd you're trying to share your music with. Anyone that shares their music on facebook knows that even though you might have up to a thousand fans or wudever, still translates into like zero point zero 4 percent feedback. That's like the equivalent of four people liking it, which literally means fucking shit. I can understand what nite was saying in that the audio section doesn't have a appealing nature to it what with all the amateur rapper but on most forum's you're going to get the same amount of people that are probably experimenting with music ina very amateur level.

It's the people like Mav, sertone, infomatics and mjex that are actually taking this music thing seriously that are doing well, you think one of them gives a fuck about ( or was discovered through) the audio section? They're doing well because they're keeping it hip h, but also drawing influences from other genres, which is opening their music up to a much wider audience.

The people that are making STRICTLY hip hop and taking it seriously, like nugget class az working class, they're doing their thing but are obviously pigeonholed to a select market, one that's not too big in ireland at the moment. This isn't a bad thing but obviously the lads know themselves that theres not as much medium for them to get their music out there.

I'd like to think i'm taking my music seriously, and taking influences from music that i listen to when i'm not cooking crack cocaine has definetly helped me to expand my music to an audience i would have no chance of gaining if i didn't.

Tldr: if artists have something really worth listening too, and they take it seriously chances are the blogs will pick em up. I doubt anyone's career is going to be made by any one of the 6 guests that browse ihh a day.

August 24, 2011 06:00AM

Current mood:
typed that on a phone like a bawse, fuck you predictive text.

August 24, 2011 08:55AM

Beats in Irish Hip Hop are shocking. Soundclick and known instrumentals in preference of good original beats. Bitter Rocc posted a load of good beats a while back and nobody batted an eyelid.

Obviously known instrumentals are good beats but you cant just take a track, rap over it and call it your own. You wouldnt get away with it in any other genre.

Infomatics, MJEX Mav etc make Music. Thats why they are taken seriously.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2011 08:56AM by the Kulprit.
August 24, 2011 10:36AM

I agree on the point that, a lot irish mcs will take a known instrumental which is classic and ruin it (in most cases anyway)

I also agree that a lot of irish beatmakers will post their work and people will ignore it and opt for once again a well known instrumental.
There are so many reasons for this I am not even going to type.

Tony Mahony is a beast from a beatmakers point of view I think. The shear volume of stuff he constantly puts out is immense, his chooping ability and sample selection is pretty good and drum work is good as well. He does him while 80% of beatmakers do "Kanye" style beats and fail miserably.

Somebody said that only Tera sounds good on them, and this is true in a context of Irish hip hop scene and thats because lets face it , there is a handful of Mcs that have a listenable quality in terms of flow, delivery and content on consistent basis and can actually rhyme ove any drum pattern and tempo.

A lot of people I think write their first rhymes for month and think they are 'Rapas' and then try to put stuff out.

back to op: I do agree that if the song is muck the thread will be ignored....... maybe thats why I never get any replies Question

[www.youtube.com]

[twitter.com]
August 24, 2011 11:26AM

Yeah I think Tony Mahonys beats are dope. That Tera album with all his beats is quality.
August 24, 2011 12:03PM

Current mood:
so to sum up this page, beat makers and emcee's should get together and make sweet sweet music together. Rather than spitting to a random beat you come across on the net

August 24, 2011 12:19PM

Current mood:
Nate Dogg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> so to sum up this page, beat makers and emcee's
> should get together and make sweet sweet music
> together.

no... if the mc's on here think the beats they hear on here aren't up to the standard that they would want to use then they should go and find some that are... there are 1000's of lads on soundcloud that make dope beats that would give them away...

the beats i have on soundcloud aren't great in my opinion but i still get lads from all over, Oz, UK, US... mailing me asking me for beats! mc's on here should be doing the same. i found a lad from holland, had about 5 people following him and he had some serious beats!

Good Stuff EP

August 24, 2011 12:48PM

Current mood:
It's like when i heard the album d'beats was doing with brosy and gatch he's saying that track needs to be redone, not happy with that beat it's old/not good enough. Someones only thinking about that aspect. That's why it's probably going to sound a lot less throw away. Wouldn't blame the rappers entirely. Producers should be meeting up with the rappers and hammering stuff out with them. Expert isn't just saying the beats are on soundcloud, up to Messiah J to get off his arse and finish the tape.

BTW, how many of the rappers on here have a presspack with pro photos and blurb. There's half the reason indie garbage gets more coverage.

Damn, got into a how we forward the scene rant again. Sorry guys.

August 24, 2011 07:47PM

How is not liking stuff other people like not a matter of taste. Fairly ignorant statement. Plus the example of ratman is a bad one considering the whole argument is about why ihh is overlooked yet his work is more popular than anyone ya mentioned apart from maybe mjex. Your fairly critical of peoples production yet t any music ya post about liking sounds terrible to me. Its all taste and despite how ya may feel your opinion doesnt count more than the next persons

[www.youtube.com]
[www.soundcloud.com]
[www.myspace.com]
[www.facebook.com]
[www.reverbnation.com]
August 24, 2011 08:36PM

Current mood:
Irish Party has like half a million hits on youtube and the beats an abomination. I don't think it's really an arrogant statement to make. My opinion is more valid than the people like that beat cos i've got taste and they don't. Sure i don't post most of the hip hop beats i like on here. I'm not expecting everybody to rap on LA glitch hipster beats or i think they're shit. I just notice a big difference between the quality of beats say, Lethal Dialect and Rob Kelly have and some other people. It's improved a bit since everybody was jacking soundclick beats but loads of people are still making rap tapes that aren't all that musical. Yes it's opinion like everything on here but i just get annoyed by the fact we've rappers as good as anything in the US but they don't get the kind of production oversight say, RiRa got off DJ Mek. Or Lunitic off Moschops. Thats how you make classics.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2011 08:43PM by Harry Posher.
August 24, 2011 09:07PM

^word to the mummyfucker

its like the difference between crazy frog and portishead

then tryin to argue they're both equally valid, just some people have different tastes
August 24, 2011 10:04PM

Current mood:
OK, here's something else...

1. Most of the general music publications don't know the first thing about hiphop. They latch on to one or two buzz acts that are considered "cool" in their circles and are scared shitless to deviate from that line of thought.

2. A lot the press/blog darling acts don't have any fanbase. We are told how groundbreaking and popular 'so and so's album is, but nobody actually owns it, nobody buys a ticket to see them, and nobody watches their videos.
There is several majorly hyped bands that have less interest than a lot of the IHH lads. If it was a level playing field, there would be way more Irish hiphop acts getting coverage.

3. MJEX and The Infomatics have worked their asses off to get where they are and they still haven't got half the recognition they deserve for it. They are two of the most together live bands in Ireland.

4. Irish rap records that can't be classed as either "comedy" or "not really rap" will be passed over because "LOL Irish rap". Just being good at rapping doesn't quite cut it apparently.
August 28, 2011 01:08PM

My two cents:
Anybody who wants to make money in IHH needs to up their game or diversify. If anyone is making money already I applaud you and I'd say this is the case with more people than you'd think.

Anyone whos making music for fun, keep doing it. Its a great hobby.

People listening to the radio generally dont care how good a rapper is. They just want to hear a catchy tune on the radio. Want a heavy bass in the club etc.. There will be no patriotism around supporting local MCs that use they're own accent due to the guys getting a bit of attention using a yank one. Its ironic that using your own accent may be your biggest advantage yet you falsify one to sound like everyone else.

Aswell as this you've got a load of heads that dont/wont support each other so why the fuck would anyone outside IHH support you?
August 30, 2011 12:51AM

The same goes for hip-hop in general, shit drowns out the good.
February 27, 2020 12:34PM

Current mood:
That INK lad was thick as pickled shite.

"The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of a martyr"

"Abstinence makes the Church grow fondlers"
July 28, 2020 01:37PM

Current mood:
bring back IHH.com!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 35
Record Number of Users: 6 on September 17, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 252 on August 17, 2020
Donate towards my web hosting bill!