Reality Bites: Ireland's Rappers

Posted by Molloy 
Re: Reality Bites: Ireland's Rappers
February 22, 2012 03:46PM

will do, cheers
February 22, 2012 05:35PM

Current mood:
all that matters is you can see me in a few shots of LD and costellos gig. im too famous for this forum now. think ill go join boards.ie or sumtin

[twitter.com]
[www.facebook.com]
[soundcloud.com]
February 22, 2012 06:17PM

Current mood:
Thank God.

February 22, 2012 06:48PM

Current mood:
Thank you based god.

---------------------------------

| Twitter | Facebook | Youtube
February 22, 2012 10:00PM

Well folks. Feedback is appreciated on last nights doc negative or positve. I put alot of work getting this off the ground and credit to both Ronan and RTE for believing in the project. I asked for no credit or thanks on this one but hope my efforts were appreciated as i promised and delivered contacts as requested by various acts. Credit due to those who took part while there were elements that could have been portrayed differently i think overall it will prove to be a success for those who took part. I am now pushing hard to have a complilation released on the back of this so if interested please pm me as there is increased interest due to last nights show. It was what is was but i know for a fact more people than ever have got in touch with me since the show than before. How there are negative comments is beyond me. We are talking about a show just aired on national TV! Before all we had was this forum with people posting the odd demo. Now we have albums dropping, videos dropping, radio play, media coverage etc. These boys all deserve credit for pushing things forward whether the doc was to ur taste or not.
February 22, 2012 10:08PM

Middle Finger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Before all we had was this forum with
> people posting the odd demo. Now we have albums
> dropping, videos dropping, radio play, media
> coverage etc.

Think this comment needs to be rephrased.

February 23, 2012 05:01AM

Middle Finger Wrote:
> Well folks. Feedback is appreciated on last nights
> doc negative or positve. I put alot of work
> getting this off the ground and credit to both
> Ronan and RTE for believing in the project. I
> asked for no credit or thanks on this one but hope
> my efforts were appreciated as i promised and
> delivered contacts as requested by various acts.
> Credit due to those who took part while there were
> elements that could have been portrayed
> differently i think overall it will prove to be a
> success for those who took part. I am now pushing
> hard to have a complilation released on the back
> of this so if interested please pm me as there is
> increased interest due to last nights show. It was
> what is was but i know for a fact more people than
> ever have got in touch with me since the show than
> before. How there are negative comments is beyond
> me. We are talking about a show just aired on
> national TV! Before all we had was this forum with
> coverage etc. These boys all deserve credit for
> pushing things forward whether the doc was to ur
> taste or not.

man this was a mockumentary. editing was pure nastyness on behalf of the RTE. being part of setting this up was nothing to be proud of and definitely nothing to be trying to further YOUR career on, with a mixtape. The documentary just dropped on monday, our 'scene' was has been buzzing for the past year or so with radio play, videos, media coverage etc, this show had fuck all to do with it.
February 23, 2012 08:59AM

Well there is alot more people talking about Irish Hip Hop today than there was before the show aired. Can you tell me how the show fucked this up. Are you telling me the people who were not attending gigs, buying cds prior to the show are now lost forever and had the show not aired they would have attended them or bought them??? Make good music or not it's as simple as that to be honest. No documentry will change that and to be honest i think it has definately created more interest like it or not.
February 23, 2012 09:10AM

And as for trying to further my career. Are you serious. I have a very good career already thanks. Music is a hobby. I try help out where i can. Guess is not always appreciated but that's life i guess.
February 23, 2012 11:33AM

Aye there is alot more people talking about irish hip hop... not in a good way. Do you expect us to give credit because RTE put irish hip hop in the spotlight to take the piss out of... fuck no.

"Before all we had was this forum with people posting the odd demo. Now we have albums dropping, videos dropping, radio play, media coverage etc. These boys all deserve credit for pushing things forward whether the doc was to ur taste or not."

the scene didn't just release everything after monday, i dont even know if anything has been released since it happened, as i've said the scenes been buzzing for a year, people have been working there balls off, it had nothing to do with the show. the above is a different statement that what you try to defend it with..

"Are you telling me the people who were not attending gigs, buying cds prior to the show are now lost forever and had the show not aired they would have attended them or bought them???"

there isn't much of a gigging scene for irish rap, its something that definitely needs improving, regardless of a tv show. those people aren't lost forever but this documentary just did more damage to the cause rather than help it.

let the good music do the talking indeed..
February 23, 2012 11:44AM

also im more pissed at the RTE's approach than anything else. Siyo and Red are two of the best in this country if only the RTE took the opportunity to showcase that a bit more. I dont even think they came across bad, I just don't think they should have been filmed and edited the way they were. Peoples opinions change quickly and obviously there will attention from it but if any of them responses are positive or opinions change to positive, its credit to the lads personality and music, not down to the 'help' of the rte.
February 23, 2012 03:34PM

Current mood:
Middle Finger Wrote:
> Well folks. Feedback is appreciated on last nights
> doc negative or positve. I put alot of work
> getting this off the ground and credit to both
> Ronan and RTE for believing in the project. I
> asked for no credit or thanks on this one but hope
> my efforts were appreciated as i promised and
> delivered contacts as requested by various acts.
> Credit due to those who took part while there were
> elements that could have been portrayed
> differently i think overall it will prove to be a
> success for those who took part. I am now pushing
> hard to have a complilation released on the back
> of this so if interested please pm me as there is
> increased interest due to last nights show. It was
> what is was but i know for a fact more people than
> ever have got in touch with me since the show than
> before. How there are negative comments is beyond
> me. We are talking about a show just aired on
> national TV! Before all we had was this forum with
> coverage etc. These boys all deserve credit for
> pushing things forward whether the doc was to ur
> taste or not.

Remember when Irish hip hop was just people posting shitty demos on a forum? Then Middle Finger came along and gave us prime time coverage, radio play, came up with the concept of recording albums and making videos. He was too self-effacing to actually take credit but we all knew who was really responsible. Seeing as none of that shit existed before 20th of February 2012 it must have been his doing.

February 23, 2012 04:46PM

I've been biting my tongue ages on this whole mocumentry but middle fingers comments there are defo the straw that broke the aul camel up
i'm not gonna go to much into this thing because there be a back and forth for pages so ill just say there's a HUGE level of DELUSION with people I honestly can't get my head around it, its mind boggling to think anyone thought that show was nothing less than a disaster for everyone involved... except rte

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2012 04:48PM by Jonnyboy.
February 23, 2012 11:34PM

>there isn't much of a gigging scene for irish rap, its something that definitely needs improving

Gigging in general not just hiphop gigs needs improving, the entire music scene is slowly dying because good venues that do live gigs are becoming less and less in Dublin. 5-6 years ago it was brilliant, but everywhere that does this seems to be shutting down due to low turn out. Crawdaddy being the latest one to shut down that sort of just came out the blue, had no idea it was struggling.

I saw Swords and The Elements play in crawdaddy two weeks ago and it was jammed packed, you could hardly fit in the place. Little did I know it would be the last gig, never mind irish hiphop gig, to be played in the place. The next day it was gone. That was a rare turnout for indie hiphop though, or live music in general. Every other gig i've been out to recently, hiphop or not, has had a low turn out. So its no surprise these places either shut down or stop doing live bands, they just don't generate the revenue they used to.

Hopefully it's just a blip, as people love live music. Its something that's affecting all music genres at the moment.

Edit: it may also just be all down to the recession, as people go out later and later. A few years ago people had no problem being in town at 8 oclock and hit whealans or wherever to hear a random few live acts that they personally have no connection too. Now most people that make the effort to go in early to see gigs are friends of the acts. That could be one major factor in the decline. Everyone else is at home getting drunk before they get wallet raped in town later.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2012 11:51PM by weirdo.
February 24, 2012 11:57AM

Current mood:
Ah it's not that bad. SertOne played about 6 gigs in Dublin in the last few months. Lethal Dialect has a rake of them coming up as well.

February 24, 2012 01:55PM

I wasn't talking about people not gigging, I'm talking about good venues either shutting down, or taking on less gigs, because the turn out for them is declining. All musical genres not just hip hop.

Of course the artists are still gigging
February 24, 2012 02:06PM

Remember when Irish hip hop was just people posting shitty demos on a forum? Then Middle Finger came along and gave us prime time coverage, radio play, came up with the concept of recording albums and making videos. He was too self-effacing to actually take credit but we all knew who was really responsible. Seeing as none of that shit existed before 20th of February 2012 it must have been his doing.

Shapey....man seriously u don't know me and that's harsh. Where did i give you the impression that i was responsible for everything!!!! The point I'm trying to make is that people will not buy an album or go to a gig based on the viewing of this documentary but they will check out the participants music. IF the music is good then the documentary is forgotten and the emcees will be judged on their music .... as they should be. BEFORE this doc the same heads were still gonna turn up at the shows and buy/download the cd's. Are you saying you will not buy cd's or turn up at shows?
February 24, 2012 02:19PM

hip hop is without a doubt the hardest genre to be involved in when it comes to finding regular gigs in this country. the mere mention of rappers is enough to get you the stinkface from most bar/club managers. cant say i blame them, theyre running a business. most gigs for irish rappers will be low paid (or no pay) warm up gigs for international acts. this is not going to change anytime soon, and this mockumentary/reality show will not be helping matters either.

www.mixcloud.com/JusMe
www.soundcloud.com/jusme-1
February 24, 2012 09:55PM

Middle Finger Wrote:
> Shapey....man seriously u don't know me and that's
> harsh. Where did i give you the impression that i
> was responsible for everything!!!!

Middle Finger Wrote:
> Before all we had was this forum with
> coverage etc.

February 25, 2012 05:30AM

Current mood:
Middle Finger Wrote:
> Shapey....man seriously u don't know me and that's
> harsh. Where did i give you the impression that i
> was responsible for everything!!!! The point I'm
> trying to make is that people will not buy an
> album or go to a gig based on the viewing of this
> documentary but they will check out the
> participants music. IF the music is good then the
> documentary is forgotten and the emcees will be
> judged on their music .... as they should be.
> BEFORE this doc the same heads were still gonna
> turn up at the shows and buy/download the cd's.
> Are you saying you will not buy cd's or turn up at
> shows?

I really hope this mixtape your planning on putting out doesn't involve the beat I made for you a while ago. If I don't get payed that doesn't get played, I promise that.

February 25, 2012 07:06AM

Sorry Seezy. I didnt mean before the documentry i meant it in terms of how far the scene has come over the past 5 - 10 years. Back then it was mainly the odd demo but people didn't really have the drive to push things further. It's come a long way since then to the point of videos and album dropping every other week. Radio play is much more achievable and Irelands main broadcaster has just put a documentry on national tv and i honestly dont think it has put the scene back 5 years as has been suggested.

Monto pm me in future.
February 25, 2012 11:00AM

Middle Finger Wrote:
> i honestly
> dont think it has put the scene back 5 years as
> has been suggested.
>
>

have to agree with this. the doc was intended to make you all look like dole scrounging wasters. under the circumstances ye all came off fine. could have been a lot worse. i watched it a 2nd time and it really is a disgusting piece of manipulative journalism.
ive never seen class a's live but that gig at the beginning looked nothing like any hip hop show ive been to in ireland over the last 14 years. there actually seemed to be a bit of a crowd there too but they just focused on the table of older woman (who were only having a bit of a laugh) as if this was a typical Class A's crowd and this was the only type of bar in which you could get a gig. of all the songs you did that night the one they decided to fucus on was the one where you repeatedly scream at the crowd to "shut the fuck up" basically trying to say your music was all cursing, no substance.

both class a's and the working class boys were cagey about the "beef" bullshit, but when they couldnt get ye to talk about each other they filled in the gaps with narration.

was particularly disgusted with the way they tried to portray the working class lads. bottom of the barrel "look at these scumbags in their tracksuits" type of shit. made me sick. especially when i believe these lads to be the most talented crew in the country at the moment. to your credit you kept it all about the music.

siyo unfortunately got caught out with the "waster" angle. jesus, youre going to college. were in the middle of a recession. what do they want? thought you came off well in parts tho. the scene where you were talking about the songs you did in an american accent as a youngster was hilarious. and on the second viewing its obvious you were joking when you said that hopefully the rapping would pay the bills but they cut the shot before this became clear.

fuck it lads. live and learn.

www.mixcloud.com/JusMe
www.soundcloud.com/jusme-1
February 27, 2012 04:57PM

Rob O'Connor from Beat FM did a little segment on IHH last night on his show after watching the doc..check it

February 27, 2012 06:07PM

Current mood:
Hahaha this documentary will be the fooking death of me. That was a good show, the fact they actually played music and didnt spend the time saying how bad the doc was. But I shit you not, ima bang my new album out and put the smile on the other side of peoles face.....Talking about the lads featured haven't got politicaly driven tracks or whatever.....DJ's on these type shows etc just disregard the people featured and go seek other ihh. Do they research or what ? Because if they did they would find out there talking alot of mis-truths...but fair play, getting the sounds out is the only thing we want and expect. Forza stuff !!!

February 27, 2012 11:07PM

Current mood:
my mate said they were just slaggin the documentary on rte there...
February 27, 2012 11:16PM

Current mood:
[youtu.be]

Meh..

She should change her name to something more succint like Polonious.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2012 11:16PM by Shapey Fiend.
February 27, 2012 11:22PM

Gwame Wrote:
> my mate said they were just slaggin the
> documentary on rte there...

Republic of telly probably? Think that does be on Monday nights.
February 27, 2012 11:22PM

Current mood:
Shapey Fiend Wrote:
> [youtu.be]
>
> Meh..
>
> She should change her name to something more
> succint like Polonious.

the old bearded hamlet character?

CF Wrote:
> Gwame Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > my mate said they were just slaggin the
> > documentary on rte there...
>
> Republic of telly probably? Think that does be on
> Monday nights.

yeah i didn't see it though

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2012 11:24PM by Gwame.
February 27, 2012 11:34PM

Current mood:
i saw it. i LOL'D.

typical shit ud expect from R.O.T

[twitter.com]
[www.facebook.com]
[soundcloud.com]
February 28, 2012 12:18AM

Current mood:
Gwame Wrote:
> Shapey Fiend Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > [youtu.be]
> >
> > Meh..
> >
> > She should change her name to something more
> > succint like Polonious.
>
> the old bearded hamlet character?
>

In that she likes jamming lots of big words into every sentence without them making much sense in the context.

Republic of Telly has been shit the last season or so. Without the Rubberbandits as contributers they're on a slippery slope.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2012 12:24AM by Shapey Fiend.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 27
Record Number of Users: 4 on February 28, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 103 on February 06, 2020
Donate towards my web hosting bill!