Donate towards my web hosting bill!
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Gear to get for starting out in Production

Posted by Sideline Inc. 
Re: Gear to get for starting out in Production
May 15, 2008 07:23AM

The winning combination for HIP HOP is :

- Good pair of speakers (example yamaha hs50m etc etc, any speakers from around 350 euros)
- Good sound card (example : maudio firewire 410 which is around 300 euros)
- Good computer : ya can have a good desktop for 850 euros (2 gb ram and 300 gb storage) or laptop (sony vaio 900 euros same spec..)
- Good removable hard drive for copy back ups : anyone from 200 gb is about 100 euros ebay.
- Good master keyboard (M audio oxygene 61 keys - around 200 euros)

All the above is really important it will be the core of your system.

Then come the softwares :

- Reason 4 + recycle 2
- Cubase sx3 or cubase studio 4 or pro tool le 7.4.
- Plugins vsts and reason refills (anything and all you can get : synths plugs as hypersonic 2 fo example and wave diamond for effects will be your base ones.) Isotope 2 or T Racks your main ones to master.

Then a good thing to do is add to ya soft based studio some hardware keyboards cause only a combination of both worlds will give ya the best results (too many vst synths are not good, and reason 4 is ok but even with tons of refills you will struggle to find the clear and pure sound ya searching for). Best ya can have :

- Yamaha Motif Rack ES (got one for 550 euros port included from japan on ebay)
- Roland Fantom G6 (the new comer of roland and also the top range one, ya can have only a brand new one as its out since 1 month, cheaper prices are in France, ya can have one for 1990 euros port included, very expensive but u can do all with that machine its like having an mpc+sequencer inside of 128 midi tracks and 24 audio tracks, u can plug ya mic and record straight etc etc).

So all together a good home studio (for starters or confirmed) would be around 4350 Euros excluded softwares, depending if u are honest or not to buy or download them ya have to add nothing or a couple of hundred euros to that amount. Notice also i didnt put mpc in my list cause for me its useless to spend money of that machine when lot of sofware can handle what it does without losin quality.

Some people will shout at that amount of money, but let me tell ya an important thing, like a lot of people i did the mistakes when i started 4 years ago to try to cut prices and experiment things always buying the cheapest hardware or softwares and it always ended that i was never happy and finally as i was never happy i was jumping from one bad thing to an other spendin 50 euros here 100 euros there...
At the end its a lot of money spent on crap lil things whereas i could have the big thing for same price in one go, so save money and be patient better than buying some inexepnsive stuff that ll give you mediocre quality. Quality has a price beginner or not.
And when u look at it its 4500 euros but imagine these guitarist who spend 3000 euros only on an amplifier for live performance in dublins pubs.

Sorry for the number of edits i make so much mistakes of english...

Peace

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2008 07:43AM by Xavier aka Laidback.
May 15, 2008 09:11PM

Current mood:
good advice man although maybe a bit too linear with your view on production gear.

for instance most heads know that software crushes an MPC but the reason people use the MPC is for ease of use which is super important when it comes to producing. also it should be mentioned that the motif and the fantom and similar workstations are sound modules and not synths. synths even VA synths allow you to mould the sound through oscillators. a sound module like the triton or something will give you more variety but some people like have more control over less sounds that a VA synth or a pure analog synth will give you.

i agree on the point about people not willing to spend money on things especially when you look at other genres but i think that's to do with all hip-hop and techno orientated production in general.

a lot of people involved in beat-making believe that the gear will make them and they will be dropping dope fiyah within weeks but hip-hop beat making is an art and it takes time to learn.

all the gear you mentioned is good if you're going for a more commercial sound because certain sounds and cleanliness are needed in that regard but ive heard people with 20,000 roland wankathon studios and they are still getting fucked up by some guys using nothing but an SP-303 or a zoom sampletrack.

time over money.

May 16, 2008 02:07AM

Wink I know what ya mean bout synths we just call dat in my country fo us synth is a generic term even if i know its not the right term in theory its just a bad habit but i know what ya mean.
All i wrote is not linear its just my vision of production, i dont sample and i play all from a to z so my vision of hip hop is more do it yaself rather than sample things that other people did. As i play all i need diversity that only a mix of vst and sound modules, workstations can give me.
I use everything on my prods from talkbox (roger troutman technique not vocoder) to analog synths to sound modules cause it gives flexibility and i can tweak sounds. Yamaha is good for the piano, strings and leads perfect for the style i do either west coast or ragga.
Reason soft is cool to build some quick drum patterns either with nnxt or redrum modules.
For me the fact to play all is totally the contrary of being linear, for me its a huge satisfaction when u have done ya track yaself and there is never question of sample clearance etc etc. PLus u are not a beatmaker u become a real producer arranger with that technique.

To me guys who mainly use mpc to do their stuff and do some massiv sampling are just beatmakers. I can perfectly understand that as i know the root of hip hop and it was all about recycling at the beginning, but its a pity that some are stucked to the 80's. Im old school but it makes me deeply laugh when i see on yutubes videos of guys movin their head like crazy cause they sampled 10 seconds of Mozart or vivaldi and put 4 different patterns of drums. Even Kanye west who was mainly a beatmaker and massively use mpc is starting slowly but surely to play his own melodies cause sampling is good if u compliment ya prod with some elements but not if its exclusiv.

After i agree time over money, but u dont have to acquire all ya equiment in a year haha. Its step by step and surely you have to find a regular job to do some savings haha. Some buy cars at 15 000 euros, why not gear for less than 5000 euros lol. Music is a good fun and its betta to spend that money in dat rather than spending that in a year in drinks, pubs and take aways like some peeps i know Very Happy . Of course depending on which level you put music in your life, useless to spend money if its just a sunday hobby...With everytools u can be creativ but every tool has its limits dats why its better to have lil bit of everything. dont go for a loan neither, there is a professionnal in music who told me one day dont invest too much in music if music dont invest in you. I followed his advices and only bought some gears when i get money from productions i sold its an other way to see things. Everyone is working differently and has his good reasons the main thing is too have fun and not ruin ya life fo a dream that perhaps will never come through haha.

Peace
May 16, 2008 09:54AM

May 16, 2008 10:30PM

Haha yeah fo real i forgot it ahhah!!!!!!!!!!!Wink
And forget the sure sm58 ... A good one is the SE electronic 2200 A, 200 euros condenser mic of course, not cardioid its more for gigs
Peace
May 23, 2008 05:19PM

D-Note Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> the most underrated piece of gear is an ear.

great!! i have two of them and i got them for free
May 26, 2008 09:41AM

June 11, 2008 11:19PM

im not much of a producer, but if you dont have a clue what these fucking fuckers are talkin about like i dont;

1 8 track

1 condenser mic

1 sampler

1 drum machine

1 keyboard

keep it hardware bitch.

oh yeah and a good set of headphones/speakers.

i say this like i make beats all the time or some shit.

but i actually have made a dopafide beat using the above recently.

peace in the middle east.

[www.soundclick.com]

Real eyes realise real lies.
June 11, 2008 11:54PM

Prove it handsome.

"Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, daruber musS man schweigen."
June 13, 2008 01:08AM

Current mood:
Ari Lads i Just got an Mpc500 For Producin' nd i was wonderin if NeOnes worked wit an Mpc before??

Also does anyone Know where u can get the special memory card reader for it....?

Peace
Cool Beat Weaver
June 13, 2008 01:18AM

Current mood:
aight ive had the 2000xl and just got a 1000 about a week ago.

if you mean the card reader for your PC. then it's just a simple USB to compact flash reader. you can get them in argos for like 15 yoyoz.

the MPC500 is nice. a lot of people hate on it because it doesn't have the features of the higher models but dope tracks can be made on it regardless.

i would advise you tho to upgrade your RAM to 128mb and get a 2gb compact flash card for storage.
another tip is to be careful when you put the compact flash in because the 500, 1000 and 2500 have faulty compact flash ports and the pins can bend easily. not something to worry about really but just be careful.

if you've any more specific question man just ask and i'll try to help you out as best i can.

peace

June 23, 2008 12:55AM

Cant go wrong with Fruity loops and a midi keyboard(i recommend a 49 key one nothing too complex). To be honest I'm jus startin out but thats what I use anywayz
June 29, 2008 02:43PM

Current mood:
July 13, 2008 01:41PM

July 14, 2008 04:08AM

/\/\/\and that you have nuggie baby
July 17, 2008 08:57AM

August 10, 2008 06:11AM

Current mood:
NUGGET Wrote:
> OH YES! And hands for picking up records and shit.

Eyes for picking out decent records.

August 12, 2008 12:31PM

FL studio thats it.
August 19, 2008 12:59AM

Current mood:
Reason 4.

October 10, 2008 10:27AM

Current mood:
bad ta_$te Wrote:

> another tip is to be careful when you put the
> compact flash in because the 500, 1000 and 2500
> have faulty compact flash ports and the pins can
> bend easily. not something to worry about really
> but just be careful.

Haha i no Man iv broke that pin 3 times sent it back twice! This time im just like fuck it dnt need the hassle Laughing

Rite Now Im using the Mpc500, ProTools & Fruity Loops 8.0 XXL
The New Fruity loops is Pretty good!

January 29, 2009 02:20AM

Monto Wrote:
> Ari Lads i Just got an Mpc500 For Producin' nd i
> was wonderin if NeOnes worked wit an Mpc before??
>
>
> Also does anyone Know where u can get the special
> memory card reader for it....?
>
>
>
> Peace
> Cool Beat Weaver
YES, THOMMAN.
GOOGLE IT.
GOOD LUCK WITH THE STUDIO MA MAN..........

plasticattack@rte.ie

paradise@rte.ie

www.80sclubkillers.blogspot.com

www.myspace.com/teamcityrockersco
March 21, 2009 09:53PM

All of the above programmes I have with a DJ setup and an MPC 100 its true what most say you need patience and music knoledge it helps if you play keys and some of the technical knowledge of setting up your gear. Taken part in one of the many Digital music Production courses advertised around the city should be your first step to see if you like it and if you can see yourself sitting around for hours programming your sounds composing your beats melodys samples etc before you invest in the hardware or software available its costly stuff to get uncracked copys and use them to their full capacity.............Music is what music is if it sounds good dont mess with it move on make another loop and so forth sometimes less is more in any style of music get creative if people like it they like it if they dont it may mean it has no comercial money making value but its part of the learning process so save it and check back in time to see if you have improved.................Try re editing some of your favorite tracks or recreate some beats you like and lay them out to match the original and fiddle with your effects to try find a nice setting for your sound most programmes play flat straight up sounds with out any enviroment wich sounds flat when we listen to sound were usually in a room /hall / concert and so forth the programmes use flat sound so we have to add to make it sound better with reverb echo delays etc try it out and keep at it
April 27, 2009 11:53PM

i think a great way to start off sampling would be to buy an mpc 500,or mpc 1000 second hand.make sure its in good condition.

the reason im not mentioning some of the other,older models is that there may be issues with memory (EG: Zip disks,and floppy disks) which may be an issue to some newcomers,who want to concentrate on sampling,not floppy discs imao.

I would recommend hardware any day.Especially an mpc,or a Korg electribe ESX if you want to make dance music,with samples.

guys who start of sampling and who may want to gig,will want something portable,something that can jack into a sound system.hardware does this very well...no faffing about with external soundcards,crashing Windows laptops,no overheating,no installation issues lol.If you are going to buy a PC and make beats on software,by all means,do it,but for jeepers sake,GET A GOOD LAPTOP.I dont normally say this but id recommend getting a Mac or somethin.

thats my two cents,just go buy something,and start making music out of the box,and do it the traditional way.
May 12, 2009 01:08AM

Current mood:
i completely disagree. the only reason i would suggest hardware over software was if you want to learn to appreciate things better. working on hardware is kind of humbling and is more of an organic experience than working with software. in regards to bring a piece of hardware to a gig and playing on it, well i would disagree there once again.

if you have decks set up and want to plug your mpc into the mixer as well then you're going to be playing unmastered and probably poorly mixed stuff against shit off a much higher quality. doesn't really make sense to do that IMO.

May 15, 2009 08:48PM

Can sum1 explain wat the program "recycle" is? im guessing its sumthin to do with samplin??
May 15, 2009 08:59PM

it's for chopping up samples mostly aswell as changing their tempo and pitch, melodyne would probably be a better choice as it's more advanced can do the same and more including audio recording which afaik recycle doesn't do

___________________________________________________________________________________________

May 16, 2009 02:09AM

can be used with pro tools le 8 ?
May 16, 2009 02:11AM

melodyne can be loaded as a plugin or used standalone afaik its protools compatible, recycle is standalone only

___________________________________________________________________________________________

May 16, 2009 04:20PM

Cheers...appreciate it
May 18, 2009 05:50PM

1 more question...

Is it possible to load vst packs into pro tools if there R.T.A.S compatible?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 15
Record Number of Users: 6 on September 17, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 252 on August 17, 2020
Donate towards my web hosting bill!